No Dinosaurs on a Farm

***formerly known as "Cold & Calculating"

Monday, March 13, 2006

The Illuminated Coelom

We had a solid rain today which let up just as I was getting home. The sun had not quite set, but it was low in the sky, shining sideways across the ground.

As I followed the walkway from the bus stop to my front door, I noticed some things I thought my daughters would like to come outside and see, and determined to ask them when I arrived home.

When I entered the door, I was greeted with the usual enthusiastic, “Daddy!” I responded with an atypical but just as enthusiastic, “Who wants to look at worms?” There was no hesitation: Ann and Sara dropped their toys and ran to put on their flip-flops.

We started by looking for worms and teaching Sara how to take care not to step on them. The former was not hard at all; there were hundreds of them. (The later was much more difficult, especially due to the former.) We looked for the biggest—about eight inches—and for the smallest—less than two inches. We looked for fast movers and slow movers.


We came to one spot where the sun was shining broadside on several medium-sized worms. I have never seen the sun shine on an earthworm before, which is not surprising, given that the critters are most often found during rain or at night. Their skin is actually fairly thin, and the light passing through revealed the partially convoluted intestine inside—the classic tube-within-a-tube arrangement. Now my daughters know the word “intestine,” what one looks like, and that they share some anatomical similarity with earthworms.


Half-way around the courtyard, I used a blade of grass to poke a worm to show how they react. My daughters were impressed by the response: a sudden retraction, coiling, and flipping. They each took blades of grass so they could do it themselves. I asked them to see if there was a different response to poking in the “head” or poking in the “bum.” There was no noticeable difference. I asked what happened if we poked in the middle: the result was a retraction but no coiling or flipping. We observed this in several worms, each being poked in only one location. Perhaps we will publish our results.

One last note: Ann (5) was thrilled by the feel of the worms when she touched them with her finger. Sara (2), on the other hand, refused to use her finger but enjoyed using the grass.

5 Comments:

  • At 15 March, 2006 23:08, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are awesome. More kids need parents who do this kind of thing. I love looking at stuff like that with my kids, although I must admit I've never shown them how to poke worms and watch their reaction. Next rain storm...

    But they have done snails and salt. They love it and come running into the house for the salt shaker when they find a snail. (Only on the driveway, no salt on the lawn or garden!) Not too humane, I know, but the snails aren't exactly humane to my hostas either. So all is fair in garden competition, right? Plus, the kids will really "get" osmosis in biology!

     
  • At 17 March, 2006 22:52, Blogger BrianJ said…

    Lorien, maybe you should have a discussion with your children about the anatomy of a slug's brain. They completely lack any higher brain function, and so they are unable to feel pain (they can respond to stimuli, but cannot interpret it as pain). So no need to worry about being humane. The same is true of lobsters, by the way.

     
  • At 19 March, 2006 00:05, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Brian,
    I not only love that you took your kids to look at worms, but how you did it. Having them experiment with poking at the different parts of the worm and pointing out the similarities we have to worms (intestines, although the poking could apply as well...(:)...You're raising some scientists!
    Marci

     
  • At 26 March, 2006 17:24, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    All I remember about experimenting with annelids was the dissection I did when I was in high school, and how the preservative they were stored in smelled almost exactly like the bread sticks I would eat for lunch that I got from Sounds Easy. I don't think I ever ate those again after that.

     
  • At 28 March, 2006 23:14, Blogger BrianJ said…

    dally, you never ate the breadsticks again or never ate the worms?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home