No Dinosaurs on a Farm

***formerly known as "Cold & Calculating"

Sunday, December 11, 2005

10 Feet from the Edge

Before you read this blog, I suggest you go measure 10 feet. I would not want you to think that 10 feet is a large distance, because it is not.

Friday, December 9th, my wife and I went to Buffalo, NY to see U2. We had General Admission Floor tickets. As they scanned my wife's ticket, she was randomly selected for a spot in the inner "ellipse" of the stage! Yes, I got to accompany her.

We were some of the first to arrive so we got a place right up by the railing and to the side where the Edge plays. Remember how far 10 feet is? Well, that is how far the Edge was from us for 2 1/2 hours! Okay, so occasionally he would walk closer--about 3 feet away--and occasionally it was Bono or Adam Clayton who would come up close. What an amazing experience!

The concert was superb and the music was right on. There were a lot of Beatles/John Lennon tribute songs because it was the 25th anniversary of John Lennon's murder. I was disappointed that they did not play all of the songs from the newest album. Those left out were some of the best: "All Because of You" and "Man and a Woman." One song left out had a big U2-like message: "Crumbs from Your Table" so I was very surprised they didn't sing it, especially when Bono talked a lot that night about Africa and the One Campaign. The last two songs left out: "Miracle Drug" and "One Step Closer". So out of the 11 songs on the album How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, they played only six.

I was extremely happy to hear "Miss Sarajevo" that night. It is one of my favorite U2 songs and I think it is by far the most moving.

There are only a few dates left--and I know some of you who read this are in Utah (2nd to the last stop). Get tickets and GO TO THIS CONCERT!

4 Comments:

  • At 15 December, 2005 01:48, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sounds great! I'm glad you and Wendy got out for some fun together.

     
  • At 24 December, 2005 12:13, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It was so much fun--I can't believe how lucky you guys are!

    Also, Merry Christmas Brian. It's great to catch up with you on blog.

     
  • At 29 December, 2005 12:13, Blogger BrianJ said…

    kacy--I'm glad you went, but you have to tell me more about it. Where did you sit? What was your favorite part? Etc.

    And Happy New Year!

     
  • At 07 January, 2006 15:12, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    10 feet? Man Oh Man. I know your question wasn't directed to me, but I think my favorite part was when they played Gloria or when Bono chased Edge.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home