No Dinosaurs on a Farm

***formerly known as "Cold & Calculating"

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Semi-Pro Cycling

I'm just starting my fourth year as a semi-pro cyclist. On average I race twice a day. Today was typical: my chief competition had a 65 sec lead at the start of the race, which I overcame at the half-mark to bring home yet another victory.

It's a short track I ride, about 1.5 miles, between my house and work, then the evening race from work to my house, where my wife is waiting at the finish line. Unfortunately, she doesn't seem to understand the scale of my achievement. "Did the guy even know you were racing?" I decline to answer; ignore the skepticism and maintain focus.


That's right: it's about focus. So let my competition try to copy that tactic. Mr Chinese Guy with the oversized backpack could use more focus. He was all over the place today! And Mr. Forty-Something with the huge calves--riding against traffick is going to cost you every time. And while I'm naming names, Mr Fancy Dual-Suspension, it's the rider, not the machine. You know what I mean.

1 Comments:

  • At 05 October, 2005 00:48, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love this post. I think you revealed a lot about your personality.

    You are so competitive.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home