No Dinosaurs on a Farm

***formerly known as "Cold & Calculating"

Saturday, September 24, 2005

Dive In

After Cary forced a fortunate turnover just as the opposing team was poised to score, we were in perfect position to counterattack. The man I was marking hadn't turned around quickly enough to catch up with me so I crossed the half line unguarded and called for Cary to send me the disc. Cary saw me and he saw Suzy, who was even further up the field and was being guarded by my wife. Another member of our team was coming up the other side of the field from me.

Cary tossed the disc which went high and then curved away from me and toward Suzy. I ran strong toward it, then noticed Suzy was vying for it too, so I pulled off. Just then Suzy pulled off too, apparently deciding it was beyond her reach.

So I did what had to be done: Kicking myself into a quick sprint I closed the gap as best as I could, sprinting slightly to the side of Suzy, and then leaped and dove for the disc. I was fully extended and caught the disc with only the tips of two fingers and the thumb of my right hand. The landing was exquisite--at least a few feet of slide without even a hint of tumble--and was even better with my wife watching just a few yards away. Quickly rising to my feet, I saw my other teammate in the end zone for a short pass and the score.

Never mind that it was just one play, that was The Zone, Perfection, Lion's Share, Special Feature, Something to Write Home About.

So my question to you is, What makes you feel "spot on"?

6 Comments:

  • At 25 September, 2005 20:24, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I felt pretty spot on when I got chicken pox in high school. But then someone nice took really good notes for me in physiology so it all turned out. Sorry about the lame pun. Hello.

     
  • At 25 September, 2005 21:44, Blogger BrianJ said…

    kacy--I was toying with the idea of starting a blog when I came across your awesome blog a few days ago. Seeing how interesting a blog (eg. yours, lo's, others) can be was what got me started. Reading your blog, I also remembered bringing you something when you suffered from the pox but I couldn't remember what it was. I remembered some other fun things too, but that is a topic I think I will save for a blog.

     
  • At 08 October, 2005 02:56, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I wrote a nice little blog comment, but I guess it didn't go through. Now I've forgotten what I wrote exactly and don't have the energy to rewrite. so I'll give you a sumary. Basically, I used to feel spot on several times a week, back 'in the day' when I rode my mtn. bike and did cool stuff in the mountains. But, eversince motherhood, I've felt like I never feel spot on. Then, I thought about it some more and I could feel the warmth of little Hazel's cheek against mine, her baby smell permeating my soul (the sweet one, not the dirty diaper smell), and the way she just surrenders to me in trust as she falls asleep on my shoulder... now if that isn't feeling spot on I don't know what is!

     
  • At 09 October, 2005 22:57, Blogger BrianJ said…

    marci--beautiful comment! I know there are some trade-offs with parenting, but you could probably still out-climb, out-kayak, and out-bike anyone in our family.

     
  • At 13 October, 2005 14:17, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Being pregnant I haven't felt on, let alone spot on for a while now, you got me thinking and looking around my house.... spot on for me is everytime I finish a painting, when I can step back and see just what I have made and while I haven't been able to paint in a while I am surrounded by them, Thanks for getting me to look around and feel spot on.

     
  • At 23 October, 2005 00:53, Blogger BrianJ said…

    cathy and marci--this isn't fair! How am I supposed to top baby-related stories? And this is my blog....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home